I have now made two brain hats. Yes, they are getting easier. No, I have not yet perfected this project, my brains (icords) always seem to shift from center 😦 Regardless with the Science March about a month away I thought I would share my successes and failures so other can learn from my mistakes. 

Materials:


A hat portion- I crocheted mine but that’s hardly required. Any knit cap would work

Brains- I made i cords which can be knit or crochet, but I would guess that cording found at a craft store could work as well.

Straight pins- Are used to help in placing the i cords on the hat and keeping them in place while sewing them on.

Needle and thread- I used multi purpose thread which matched my i cords. 

*I also use  a styrofoam maniquin head to help with the initial placement and pinning of the i cord brains*

Step 1

Starting from the crown of the hat start pinning the i cords to the cap.

*The first time I did this I pinned the i cords by using the styrofoam like a cork board and it was nearly impossible to remove the hat*


Step 2

Once the brains are in place remove the hat from the styrofoam head and using a basic running stich connect the i cords to the hat.

These stitches will not be noticible especially if you use thread that matches the i cords.

* I have doubled my thread to increase strength, but heavier button thread could also be used. I also knotted the thread at both ends to avoid any slippage*

*Do not get discouraged if the icords slip or become un pinned this happens to me a lot. If you have a solution for this please leave a comment.*


Step 3

Take selfies and prepare for the Science March! Happy crafting!